Okay, so I should be in bed asleep but I am having some sinus issues and my right leg is really sore so i can't sleep on my right side which seems to be throwing the whole sleep thing off, so I thought I would post long enough to drink a cherry coke. Coke helps with sinus drainage (sorry, I know that sounds gross) and caffeine helps me sleep.
The weather was completely perfect. It was not boiling hot, the water was cool and the river was just high enough that the canoes didn't drag and for the most part, i could see the river bottom which I though was reassuring. Normally, I do not go for outdoorsy activities, especially water ones. I have historically had a lot of ear issues, epecially inner ear problems that usually make water activities not fun. However, I decided that since this was a float trip in a big canoe, I decided that I wouldn't have too many problems. I did not get a single bug bite! That shocked my sister because she has been eaten alive this summer but she refuses to put on bug spray and I sprayed myself with Avon Skin So Soft bug spray before I got on the river and I was fine. it really wasn't buggy either, so that helped. Those of you that know that I am pale like Emily Dickinson might be wondering how come I didn't get a lobster tan. This is because I virtually took a bath in Neutrogena sunscreen SPF 70. This stuff is not greasy, doesn't clog your pores, moisturizes and doesn't smell like a bad pina colada. Reapply every couple of hours and you're fine. I am damn proud to be pale, and I think looking pale looks better then having skin that looks like tough beef jerky (i saw alot of this on the river).
As for wild life, I saw a river otter, some silver fish, a lot of dragon flies and a lot of drunk rednecks. Three drunk guys in rafts tried to convince me to flash them for Mardi Gras beads, but I don't flash for plastic beads especially when I am with a group of people from the place I work and the other half of the group was from the big Southern Baptist church that a lot of the same work people go to. It was sort of flattering in a demented way. It's just part of the experience, and I did have the biggest boobs out of all the girls that were on the canoe trip with me. LOL.
The funniest story of the whole trip was when we spotted the river otter. It was swimming close to the shore and there was this big group of drunk people on a raft,and they saw the river otter and started shouting "look ya'll, it's a fucking ferret!!" This a direct quote. Then this one guy, gets off the raft, and is like "i have to take a picture of the ferret!" and proudly submerges HIS DIGITAL CAMERA into THE RIVER to take a picture of the "ferret". He takes the picture and then proudly exclaims, "oh shit, I can't see the picture, cause my camera isn't working!" Like duh, electronics that are submerged in the water, don't tend to work afterwards. We got a big laugh out of it though. Drunk people are really dumb.
Anyways, I had a really good time. we had a good mix of people in my group. there was 21 of us that went, and we stuck together the whole time, so there was a lot of laughter and giggling had by all. I think I would do this again, even if I was with a smaller group. There was just something really peaceful and relaxing about being on the river. Tee hee, it was especially nice to have a day off from my sister's PMS rage. Sometimes, I have a hard time believing that we actually share DNA.
Well, I think I can go back to bed now. Just remember to always wear sunscreen and to hold on to your paddle when canoeing and to wear swimwear that it appropriately sized for your body type and size. It's a beautiful thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment