Sunday, August 24, 2008

Victory!

I finished the quilt block and it looks pretty good! I know it’s not perfect, but I think I did well considering the fact that until Saturday afternoon, I couldn’t even figure out how to thread the bobbin correctly. I packed up the sewing machine and drove it over to the local sewing machine repair store and told the lady my whole sob story. She helped me thread the bobbin and showed me how to fix the tension (the tension knob had been knocked around during all my moving this past year). I took it home and was able to finish the block in under an hour. I really need to buy a table so that I can have a place to set up the sewing machine without having to move stuff off my desk to sew.
I made a stop at Jo-Ann’s and they are carried Dritz branded Project Runway sewing notions now. It was really tempting but I didn’t buy anything because I didn’t really need any of it. I can’t wait until season 4 of Project Runway comes out on DVD. It will be fierce!
Speaking of fierce, I was at Barnes and Noble and discovered Mia Tyler’s new book, Creating Myself: How I Learned That Beauty Comes In all Shapes, Sizes and Packages, Including Me. It was so good that I started reading it this afternoon and read until I finished it. I really need to buy another bookshelf. I have two five shelf bookcases and they are packed with books. My DVD rack is also completely full too. I did watch a couple of episodes of The Tudors last night.
I was able to finish another dishcloth yesterday as well. It’s made from the Sugar N Cream Stripes too, but it’s the blue-green stripes that remind me of the ocean colors. I have about six inches done on the Gothic shawl. I really like how this colorway looks. I am using the M hook on this one because Homespun is easier to crochet with the larger hooks.
Yesterday morning when I was at Trader Joes, I discover their store brand lip balm. It’s spearmint flavored and you get three tubes in a package for about the same price as one tube of my all-time favorite Burt’s Bees. I wasn’t planning on going there this weekend but I needed mail off my car insurance payment and there was this giant festival downtown which is where the closest post office is to me but there is another post office that is over by Trader Joes and Whole Foods, so I decided that since I was already in the area it made sense to go over there. Sunshine will be amused to know that I finally discovered where Wal-Mart is located. The funniest part is that it is RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM WHOLE FOODS!!!! Now, let me explain how it is possible not to notice this. Across the street from Whole Foods is this strip shopping area that is at the bottom of the slope. So Wal-Mart is at the bottom of the slope and this street is really busy but since it was early Saturday morning the traffic was light and I just happened to notice what was actually down at the bottom of the slope. I didn’t go there but at least now I can say that I know where it is. I just think it was funny that it was right under my nose the whole time because I go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods at least once a week if I am home during the weekend.

No comments: